Sunday, September 18, 2011

Carmelized Pear Pancakes

     It seemed appropriate that given my blog's title the first recipe include pear . . . and I just so happen (as I mentioned prior) to have a LOT of pears in my kitchen right now. It also seemed appropriate to start with something simple. So here's Saturday's breakfast:


     Peel and halve your pears, then core with a knife or melon baller. Slice the pear lengthwise into several thick slices and then drop into a bowl of water 4C and lemon juice 1/4 C. (This will keep them from browning.) pour about a 1/2 C of sugar on a plate and make your favorite pancake batter.

     Once your skillet or griddle is hot, grab a pear slice allowing the excess liquid to drip back into the bowl, then press it gently into the plate of sugar on both sides of the slice and repeat with the same number of pear slices as you can fit pancakes in your pan or griddle. Then place the pears on the griddle spaced as you would center them in your pancakes. 

     Then the magic happens. The pear will make a syrup with the sugar that will then make a sort of caramel halo, once it looks nice and caramelized, flip the pears to their other side and then pour your batter over each pear slice leaving the pear slice roughly in the center of the pancake. Flip when ready and then when done, brush with butter and dust with powdered sugar.

     I promise you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous, both the recipe and blog. I'm going to have to have Erin help me make mine look a fraction as cool as this does....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna check back regularly. I hope to see many more delicious dishes come out of "Cucina McDonald". I'll try this for conference b-fast!

    ReplyDelete